Thursday, February 10, 2011

Beyond Scared Straight: Are They Really

I saw this show advertised and thought "hmmm, sounds like something I might want to watch", after all I am in the criminal law field as a paralegal, and it would be beneficial to be informed to I can explain to some our minor clients the perils awaiting them if they continue on their destructive, career-criminal paths.

Well, I watched it, and all I can say is "does anyone really think this is going to help the kids?" They come in there with a cocky attitude, laughing, continuing to lie, and don't take this experience seriously at all. Some of these kids do take it seriously, but for the most part I don't see it sinking into most of them. And at the end of the day they don't give you an update on all the kids. Misleading? Just sayin'.

The reality here is that if it helps just one kid, all the better.

FYI, here in Orange County, California, instead of making the kids go through the jail, they make the parents go. I know...been there, done that. And, it didn't help my kid one bit, probably because he wasn't the one that went through the jail.

Bottom line: Parents need to quit enabling their kids, stop being friends, and act like parents.

Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment